The IPA is committed to the planning and procurement of reliable, efficient, cost-effective electricity for residents and businesses in an ethical and objective manner, insulated from improper influence.
Understanding the Illinois Power Agency’s Electricity Procurement for Residential and Small Commercial Customers of Illinois Electric Utilities
Illinois has a deregulated, restructured electricity market which means that Illinois electricity customers of Ameren Illinois, ComEd, and MidAmerican Energy may choose who provides their electricity supply (these options are not available for customers of municipal electric utilities, rural electric cooperatives, and Mt. Carmel Public Utility).
For customers who choose to take supply service from their utility, the utility does not decide where the power comes from. Instead, each year, the Illinois Power Agency (IPA) develops an Electricity Procurement Plan, through which the IPA procures reliable, efficient, and cost-effective electricity for eligible retail customers.
You may learn more about the IPA’s electricity procurement processes, national and statewide electricity prices, electricity supply options, and municipal aggregation by visiting the pages linked below.
Helpful Links and Resources
- Draft 2024 Electricity Procurement Plan was released for public comment on August 15, 2023. Comments are due on September 14, 2023.
- 2023 Electricity Procurement Plan (Approved by the ICC on December 15, 2022).
- Procurement website (A website designed for electricity suppliers participating in IPA -administered procurements).
- IPA Power Webinar: Understanding Power Procurement for Residential and Small Commercial Customers of Illinois Electric Utilities
- Illinois Power Agency Act (20 ILCS 3855, which created the IPA and provides the Agency’s directives).