The Illinois Power Agency (“IPA”) Fellowship Program is a one-year paid opportunity that provides fellows with an unparalleled opportunity to contribute their skills and talents in the clean energy sector. The enactment of the Climate and Equitable Jobs Act in 2021 presents a great opportunity to build upon the work the Agency is doing to expand Illinois’ clean energy economy and transition the state to a clean energy future.
At the IPA, we believe in developing a talent pipeline of the next generation of leaders – individuals who are innovative, mission-driven, and passionate about working to build an equitable clean energy future for all. Through this one-year Fellowship Program, the IPA seeks to connect with recent graduates or early-career professionals working in clean energy and/or environmental planning.
Through the program, fellows will get specialized training and valuable experience to launch a career in the clean energy sector. Additionally, fellows will have the opportunity to support leaders and subject-matter experts in implementing the Illinois Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard, produce energy-related white papers and presentations, prepare reports and stakeholder correspondence, and develop innovative solutions to advance IPA’s work in providing a clean, reliable, cost-effective, and equitable future for residents and businesses across Illinois.
• Master’s degree or juris doctor degree from a fully accredited U.S. college or university with a degree in public policy, economics, energy, law, and sustainability or related field within the last three years
• Early career professionals interested in working in the renewable energy sector (experience in energy-focused policy issues, energy efficiency, or related strategic fields, with a focus on renewable energy preferred)
• Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Strong written and oral communications skills
• Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work independently and carry out assignments, make independent judgments and/or decisions, and discern when action at a higher level is required
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and maintain an organized and well- communicated workflow
• Comfortable effectively managing shifting priorities and deadlines
• A letter of intent that helps the Agency understand your interest in becoming an IPA Fellow. This can include how your relevant experiences and skills listed in your resume have prepared you for this opportunity, and how the IPA Fellowship will further your professional goals.
• Writing sample relevant to the fellowship; and
• Three professional references
To apply, please send the application materials as a single PDF file to IPA.ContactUs@illinois.gov with the subject line "Last Name, First Name, IPA Fellowship Application 2022”
All applications must be received by 11:59 pm CT on Friday, December 2, 2022 in order to be considered. The start date is flexible and can be as early as January 1, 2023.
The IPA fellowship includes a stipend paid over the course of one year with full state benefits.
Work location: Remote
No phone calls please.
The Illinois Power Agency is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.